Another delicious, nutritious, protein-filled bread 🙂 This is similar to the Cherry Coconut Loaf, but with a few changes (and different berries of course).
Ingredients: (Makes 10 slices)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour*
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/2 cup Stevia (more or less depending on your taste)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- few dashes of salt
- 2/3 cup egg whites (I used the ones from the carton)
- 1/2 cup applesauce***
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp unsweetened cartoned almond (or coconut) milk
- 1 tbsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp oil of choice (preferably coconut)**
- 3/4-1 cup fresh or frozen berries of choice (I used blackberry…but blueberry or raspberry also sound good!)
- Optional: 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes (1 tbsp for topping)
*You can find coconut flour at health food stores (like Sprouts/Whole Foods) and possibly online. Coconut flour bakes completely different than others (oat, almond, whole wheat, etc). It soaks up a lot of liquid and can be very dense. I have not tried this recipe with any flour. If you do want to experiment, try reducing the liquid…but I am not promising anything!
**The oil can technically be omitted, however it just adds moisture and the right consistency 🙂
***You could use all applesauce and omit the greek yogurt, or vice versa. However, the yogurt will provide more protein and less sugar 🙂
Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add in your wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Gently stir in your berries (or drop into the batter in the loaf pan). Pour your batter into your silicone loaf pan (or well sprayed pan). Top with the remaining 1 tbsp of coconut flakes.
Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes. The edges should be slightly browned and the center should be fully cooked, not still wet 🙂
Let it cool for awhile before removing from the pan and cutting into slices. It will still be very moist!
Nutrition Facts (for 10 slices):
Per slice: 90 calories 9g carbs 9g protein 1.5g fat